9.25.2005

SmallVille

Yesterday at the gym, I biked as usual. They have a bike that you sit on and it has arms, like a chair .. much easier on the back than the bikes where you sit upright. I biked for an hour on the Random Hill level. To my surprise, it would have taken me another hour to finish the course .. must ride faster next time!

A girl on a bike beside me talked on her cell phone for 30 minutes straight about her wedding. Then her husband beeped in. And it went a little something like this:

Him: Hey babe.
Her: Hey hon.
Him: You about done?
Her: I have 3 minutes to go.
Him: Hmm, you at the gym?
Her: Yeah.
Him: Hmm, what are you wearing?
Her: Uhh, white shirt, gray shorts.
Him: Are you wearing your sports bra?
Her: Yes ...
Him: Mmmmm ..

At that point, I was gagging.

I guess people don't realize that on cell phones, normally when you are within earshot of the person holding the phone, you can still hear both parties talking .. because people on cell phones tend to talk much louder than regular phones.

Anyhow, it made me sick. Plus, who the hell talks on a cell phone while they are working out? Hello?!

On the way home from the gym, I saw two little boys who were probably not any older than 8 or 9, smoking.

I also saw a Mexican driving a car, and he could barely see over the steering wheel. I *swear* to you, his face was peeking at me from just under the top of the wheel.

I couldn't believe it.

For a moment I wondered if I'd slipped into some strange twilight zone ..

then I remembered, nope .. it's just the lovely town I happen to live in at the moment. That's just how things .. and people .. are here.

Ah well. Back to my regularly scheduled cup of decaf green tea.