10.14.2005

Conference

The gaming conference was a success, and I had fun there.

I only wish Paul had been with me, because I think he would have really enjoyed it too, but there will be others in the future.

I would never call myself an actual "gamer" but I have played my share of games. I learned a lot today, such as I didn't know the gaming industry made more money than Hollywood. And it's not just a little, it's by a landslide if you figure the amounts. I don't remember the actual number they gave today, but it was monstrous, Google-worthy if you are interested. I'm just too lazy to look it up right now.

And I didn't know that 42% of gamers are women (In 2004, anyway), and that the average gamer is 30 years old. Which means that those of us who grew up with games are still playing.

I didn't know that there have been studies done on the game Dance Dance Revolution which prove that playing the game has helped raise a student's math scores. I didn't know that some schools use the game in their physical education classes to help kids stay active or lose weight.

I didn't know a lot of what I was told today or what I saw and heard in lectures. It was interesting and I'm glad my school can offer majors in gaming development and simulation.

It seems like what was once laughed at as a fad is now anything but.