8.20.2006

Sculpey!

If you ever have to sculpt something for any reason, forget regular clay or Play-Dough. Use this polymer clay called Sculpey, which you can buy at just about any hobby shop or art supply store. It's great.

You just sculpt whatever you want and then bake it right in your oven til it's ready.

You can mix glitter in it, paint it after it hardens, detail it with toothpicks or paperclips, whatever. It's really cool!

It's also a nice workout for the hands to knead it into whatever shape you want.

I made several items for my art history final project: a flower, a butterfly stamp and a pair of hugging Buddhas.

At around $2 a pack it comes in a whole array of colors so the possibilites for cool creations are endless. The instructions even say you'll wake up in the middle of the night with ideas and want to sculpt right then but I'm not sure I agree with that. However, I guarantee I'll use it again for future art projects and maybe even just because.