1.16.2009

Healthier meals in 2009

I've started off the year cooking vegetarian meals for my husband & I more often. I guess I used to think that meatless meals would be boring but there are so many alternatives and possibilities out there. I am always on the lookout for creative new recipes for us to enjoy. Here's one I found online that I will have to try soon. It sounds pretty good!

Avocado Reuben

Give beef the boot and try our take on the classic reuben sandwich—made with creamy avocado and a tangy, easy-to-make Thousand Island dressing.

    2 slices rye or pumpernickel bread
    Mustard
    Thousand Island dressing (recipe follows)
    1/2 avocado, pitted, peeled, and mashed
    1/4 cup sauerkraut
• Spread one slice of bread with some mustard, the other slice with Thousand Island dressing.
• Place the bread slices, dry side down, in a lightly oiled skillet. Top one slice with avocado, and the other with sauerkraut.
• Over medium heat, grill the sandwich until lightly browned and hot, about 5 minutes. Put the sandwich halves together and enjoy!

I found it on vegcooking.com =)