11.24.2006

Ordinary life is pretty complex stuff.

This is Harvey Pekar. Author of American Splendor comics and graphic novels which focus on Harvey's life as a file clerk living in Cleveland.

I didn't know who he was until this past summer when I read the graphic novel, American Splendor: The Life and Times of Harvey Pekar, and watched the adaptation in my film history class this month.

I enjoyed the novel and I loved the movie so much I'd even go as far to say it's one of my favorites now. The reason being, not only was Harvey acted out (by Paul Giamatti), the real Harvey Pekar also appears throughout the movie in bits and pieces.

Harvey isn't what you'd call a happy guy. He once lost his voice for a long time for yelling too much. He stresses out, he worries, he complains, he makes almost no money in his job as a file clerk. He lives in squalor.

However, even though he is a pessimist at heart, you can't help but like the guy.

I probably would never have noticed that until I watched the movie though. I mean, I liked him in the book, but that is just artwork and print ... and while fun to read, hard to get to feel like you know the character.

It's amusing that he calls the comic American Splendor when his life has been anything but splendid. If you get the chance, rent the movie or check out his comics. He tells it like it is, and what he tells is worth hearing.

I ordered The New American Splendor Anthology and it just arrived today =D I look forward to reading it.