7.27.2006

Love is a burning thing ..

I just watched Walk the Line.

All I can say is ... wow.

It's been a long time since I enjoyed a movie *this* much.

I've listened to Johnny Cash now for a while .. well, more than a while. I have heard his songs all my life but didn't really come to enjoy his music and respect him until a few years before he died.

This movie just brings a whole new kind of respect.

I had NO idea until now what kind of tragedies he went through in his life. When I pictured Johnny and June all these years, I just pictured this blissfully happy, wonderfully talented couple who toured around blessing the world with their music. And, yes ... that's all true .. but .. so much happened up until that point.

I had NO earthly idea how he was raised, how badly he was treated by his family, how he had another wife before June, how he nearly destroyed himself ... I just didn't know.

I'm glad I know now. This movie made me feel the Folsom Prison Blues, but by the end I was laughing and crying at the same time.

Joaquin Phoenix makes a fine, fine Johnny Cash. Very believable.

This is a movie I could watch again and again. I walk the line, too, Mr. Cash.

Now, where can I get the above picture in poster size?

* * *

I keep a close watch on this heart of mine
I keep my eyes wide open all the time
I keep the ends out for the tie that binds
Because you're mine, I walk the line

I find it very, very easy to be true
I find myself alone when each day is through
Yes, I'll admit that I'm a fool for you
Because you're mine, I walk the line

As sure as night is dark and day is light
I keep you on my mind both day and night
And happiness I've known proves that it's right
Because you're mine, I walk the line

You've got a way to keep me on your side
You give me cause for love that I can't hide
For you I know I'd even try to turn the tide
Because you're mine, I walk the line

I keep a close watch on this heart of mine
I keep my eyes wide open all the time
I keep the ends out for the tie that binds
Because you're mine, I walk the line