6.27.2006

I stumped my philosophy professor!

Since this is probably the first and last time this will ever happen in my life, I thought I'd blog about it.

I stumped my ethics professor tonight, the man who has an answer for everything!

Professor: Aristotle would have thought that a person who has a mental breakdown does not have virtue. You cannot have a mental breakdown and still possess virtue.

Me: So, after acquiring virtues in life and then suffering a breakdown due to some misfortune, is it our choice if we have a breakdown or not?

Professor: (silence. then,) Hmm. Very good question. I do not know.

I was pleased, because I especially love it when very intelligent people own up to the fact that there are lots of things in life that we just don't know the answer to and probably never will.