4.17.2006

Altruism isn't necessarily dead.

I've been seeing and dealing with such negative, shitty people lately that I guess it's about time I posted something which shows *occassionally* there is still good in the world. Few & far between instances of good, but still .. good.

*sigh* I even feel kinda funny posting about it, but here goes.

A customer at the restaurant stopped me this evening and said, "Hey, can I ask you something?"

Immediately I figured he was going to complain about his food, say something rude, or ask for a manager due to some problem .. y'know, the usual.

I was taken aback when he pointed to a couple sitting off in a corner.

He said, "Is that your table? Are you helping them?"

I said, "Yes .. "

He then handed me a $20 bill and said, "Let me pay for their meal. Keep the change."

He left. He didn't ask me how much their bill was, but it was well under $20.

He didn't tell me he was a friend or a relative, or ask me to give them any sort of message at all.

When they finished eating, I told them a man in a blue shirt and baseball cap had picked up their bill.

They just smiled and shook their heads in surprised disbelief.

They left me a $5 tip.

I'll never know the whole story. But they knew the whole story, and that just made the whole thing kinda neat.