8.09.2006

Why bother ..

because there is nothing happy on this list anymore.

I really can't remember the last time news headlines were happy.

Were they ever? Are they meant to be? It seemed like maybe they were when I was little ..

but maybe I just didn't know what the fuck was going on and they were just as bad then as they are now.

My earliest memory was when gasoline was 96 cents a gallon and my Papaw would tell me, on our trip to the grocery store, "Gas is going up another three pennies tomorrow .. " I didn't know what that meant when I was 5, but I do now. I know all too well. The only difference is, the pennies turned into dollars too quickly ..

Interesting times.

Why don't Catholics kill Christians? My philosophy professor raised that question in class Tuesday night and I had never thought of it that way, but .. yeah .. why don't they? Can you imagine what our lives would be like if they did? Why can some religions co-exist and some just can't? My professor had no answer for this. I have no answer for this.

Does anyone have an answer for this?

I'm guessing no.

My philosophy class is showing me where I stand on some very important issues .. ones that I didn't know where I stood before.

It's always wrong to put your hands on another person in a violent way, no matter who you are, who they are, and what information they may have that you might need.

There are peaceful resolutions to everything .. and that isn't absurd, and it isn't out of reach, and it isn't a tree-hugging liberal view of the world. Everyone on this planet is born with the desire to achieve happiness. Happiness cannot be achieved through fighting and violence.

The problem is, everyone has a different view of what happiness is. Some views are wholesome and healthy, some are askew, and some are downright insane.

I feed a homeless cat everyday while I wish I could feed millions of homeless animals.

If it weren't for my landlords saying "no pets," I would probably already have 2 or 3 sleeping on my pillow with me at night that I just couldn't help rescue from the mean streets.

I know deep down I can't carry the weight of the world on my shoulders .. I can't save the world.

But I can do the little things .. every day.

Everyone can do the little things.

It doesn't hurt to wish for it all to get better.